The walls of the vagina are generally stay lubricated with a thin layer of clear fluid. The hormone known as estrogen keeps the vagina lining healthy, thick and elastic by maintaining fluid in it. The drop in estrogen reduces the amount of moisture and it can occur at any point of age with a number of different causes. One can also feel some minor irritation because of lack of vaginal moisture and it can be troublesome during the sexual intercourse. There are a number of treatments are available to get rid of this vaginal dryness problems.
Causes of Vaginal Dryness
Vaginal dryness is one of the common symptoms of menopause and one out of every three women are dealing with such a problem. It makes the vagina thinner and less elastic and it is known as vaginal atrophy. The level of estrogen can drop because of
- Childbirth and breastfeeding
- Surgical removal of the ovaries
- Radiation or chemotherapy treatment for cancer
- Anti-estrogen medications used to treat uterine fibroids or endometriosis
Other causes of vaginal dryness include
- Not enough foreplay before sex
- Allergy and cold medications
- Certain antidepressants
What to do if you have a dry vagina
If you are one of those women who is fed up with the dry vagina then try using a vaginal moisturizer or lubricant after consulting the doctor. One must consult the doctor with the same problem.
Treatments for vaginal dryness
The main treatments that can help if you have a dry vagina are:
- Lubricants:- Lubricants are the liquids that are required to be applied over the vulva, vagina or partner’s penis just before the sex. The lubricant will keep the vagina moist and help the couple to enjoy the sexual intercourse. There are a number of pharmacies that provide prescribed lubricants, so consult the doctor once and get a prescribed lubricant before applying any branded lubricant.
- Vaginal moisturizer:- Other than the lubricants, there are vaginal creams that are required to apply inside the vagina and it will keep the area moist. Creams may offer better experience to the user than the lubricants.Lubricants are need to be applied in every few days to avoid problem during sex. There are some water-based moisturizers are also available, so consult them with the doctor before going for any kind of a experiment.
- Vaginal estrogen:- Vaginal estrogen is some pill that are required to be placed in the vagina. It is the best treatment for women who are facing the problem of menopause. Estrogen treatment is better than the moisturizers and lubricants. So, consult your doctor once before putting these pills into the vagina, because it has some side effects. However, it can take few weeks to bring the result, so it is important to continue the treatment to avoid the dryness.
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT):- It is one of the treatments that comprises of medication to replace the hormones and begin to decline during menopause. This tablet can be availed from a general pharmacy. It can be applied to the skin or implant under the skin.
Other than these treatments, laser treatment for vaginal dryness has also introduced by the experienced doctors and its results are quite good.
Laser Treatment of Vaginal Dryness
Laser treatment is one of the newest way of vaginal dryness treatments and its effective results made this treatment the first of women. It is a process in which overall vaginal rejuvenation is handled by the expert. In this innovative method, fractional CO2 Laser Technology is used. The laser technology generate heat through laser beams and stimulate the collagen in the vaginal tissue. The entire process increases the blood flow and eventually lubrication increases.
There are various benefits because of which women prefer using laser treatment such as:
- It is Painless
- The process is minimal invasive
- It is quick and easy
- Women get early discharge
- The treatment is safe and there is no side effects
- Controlled laser wavelength
- Convenient and comfortable procedure
- No frequent visits to doctor