Urinary Incontinence is one of the embarrassing and common problems against women which is designed as the loss of urine without control. The severity may vary from losing drops of urine occasionally to large volume leaks which are occurred due to bladder dysfunction.
Causes/ Symptoms of Urinal Incontinence:-
Urinary Incontinence may occur again and again due to reversible causes. Most common symptom of Urinary Incontinence is losing urine without awareness or with no control. The amount of urine leakage may be few drops to high volume depending upon the causes. The causes and affecting factors can be One or more of them following:-
- Infection: Bladder dysfunction, urinary tract infection and infection in other rectal areas may lead to incontinence.
- Menopause: In this situation, estrogen level began to fall which leads to vaginal dryness, inflammation. This can be a direct cause of stress incontinence
- Medicine or Drugs: Medicine taken for Hormone replacement, blood pressure, pain and psychotropic conditions may lead to incontinence.
- Old Age: They have restricted movements which may create dysfunction in bladder
- Untreated Endocrine System: the Untreated disease like diabetes, thyroids, adrenal glands may result in urinary incontinence.
- Delirium: It may include fever, hypoxia, renal failure, stroke, dehydration, pneumonia, myocardial infection.
- Psychological Factors: People suffering from stress, tension, fear, trauma, depression may easily catch with incontinence problems.
- Constipation: Hard stools may be difficult to pass and may stay in the rectum which may lead to leak urinary.
- Persistent Conditions: These are related to physical problems including childbirth or pregnancy, painful bladder syndrome, bladder cancer, bladder stones, prostate cancer, brain tumor, obstruction, Prostatitis, Hysterectomy
Types of Urinary Incontinence
Urinary Incontinence has been divided into different segments according to their symptoms and causes thereof. Some of the common Urinary Incontinence problems are:-
- Urge Incontinence: It is the stage of sudden and intense need for urinating which is out of control. This is a symptom of overactive bladder. It may cause due to bladder stones, bladder cancer or dysfunction. Some neurological situations like stroke, tumor, spinal cord injury may be the common reasons. It is also called urgency urine incontinence.
- Stress Incontinence: Here stress refers to physical stress causing pressure on the bladder. The responsible factors may be lifting a heavy object, laughing, exercising, sneezing, coughing, menopause, pregnancy or childbirth. When urethra loss support, it does not get closed during pressure which results in urine leakage.
- Overflow Incontinence: When one finds it unable to empty the blades completely and feel the need to urinate. It may include content or frequent dribbling or urine. It may happen to the people having nerve damage, urethra problem, diabetes, damaged bladder, multiple sclerosis.
- Functional Incontinence: This is more common among adults who have the mental or physical impairment.
- Double Incontinence: It is the situation when one loss Urine and stool together.
- Nocturnal Enuresis: This is referred as the involuntary loss of urine while sleeping
- Mixed Incontinence: this is the combination of stress and urges incontinence.
Diagnosis of Urinary Incontinence
Symptoms itself speak about the Urinary Incontinence, but to know about the actual cause or factor, Doctors may ask the patients to undergo the below tests:-
- Cystoscopy:- This is done to check the urinary tract abnormalities. To perform this, an instrument is placed with a lens under the urethra to diagnose the situations.
- Urodynamic Testing:- It is done to check for urine leakage, bladder emptying, overactive bladder, urinary sphincter and capacity of the bladder.
Treatments of Urinary Incontinence
- Non-Surgical Treatments
- Behavioural Therapy
- Surgical Treatments
There are various surgical options to treat the urinary incontinence. One of them is Urethral Sling in which thin strip of material is placed under the urethra to help support its natural functioning and prevent leakage of urine.
Dr. Garima Sawhney is one of the known gynecologists in Gurgaon to treat Urinary Incontinence with great efficiency. She can be consulted through call or making an advance appointment.